Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Final Statement

My research topic this semester dealt with dragons, and how I wanted to use the idea/concept of the dragon as a metaphoric icon, replacing more literal depictions with an appropriation of a draconic figure. I have wanted to portray the idea of dragon-as-metaphor in a different light in each of my animations: dragon as destroyer in my promotion/change piece, and dragon as mysterious, untouchable and withdrawn beast in my redone version of the masking practice exercise. For my final motion graphics project, I want to portray the idea of dragon in a positive light through its water-bearing associations in ancient Chinese mythology.

My inspiration for this final piece was derived out of an interest in Chinese myth and how it idealizes the dragon as the bringer of water (a life-sustaining substance we all need) and good omens. I plan to represent the dragon, or aspects of the "good" dragon association through the mysterious, masked stranger who appears towards the end of my final piece. This dragon-masked figure will stand as a symbol of the good omen, despite how dark, daunting, and unpredictable his actual appearance may be, and in the end, a bringer of the rains (after bestowing the talisman/amulet to the protagnist), rain which my protagonist had hoped to come across since the beginning.

No comments: